Please click the banner below to supports our sponsors

Search this blog

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My review for flyingfoxRC hop ups for da type-R

You might said, Enough with a XXX-S!

Okay I got my real race car back on the table, the whole nine yard, state of the art Machine

Drum rolls please ~~~~~~ da JRX-S Type-R! (IMO that is)

I just realised I promised tory at Skyrocketracing.com for a review of Flyingfoxrc products.

so here it is

  • first impression: Love how light it is, original shaft with a PRS gear adaptor is 11 grams (with a JRXS Pro center shaft LOSA3320) the new shaft is so light my dumb digital scale wont even detect at all! (I figure about half the weight? 5 grams?)
  • Assembly: everything fits perfect, just make sure Thin spacer on right thick one on left (PIC#1)or you will rub the battery pack with your left pulley, Like I did for 1st Round of qualifying race

  • Tips: use a longer pin on it if you can and also install a new belt pulleys if you have shaved down those pulleys to make room for a LIPO width, I had stock pin with shaved down pulley in first outing, after few minute I was driving 2WD type-R, car felt good with it!! too
  • Performance: car run straight and more stable at high speed acceleration, it also help to pull harder.

note: I was kind of bummed out to see regular metal screws and washers include with the shaft, I replaced them with aluminum screws that came with a PRS gear adaptor (PIC#2)




2: 1PC front Spool tube

  • First impression: AWESOME, great machined job, finish. also noticed how light this is, it felt like 1/3 of my original spool.
  • assembly: it's kind of tighter than what I liked to be, tolerance of the products is so tight even a ball bearing having little hard time goes in to it (more story about that later), then I was mounting a Pulley on and found out round head screws that include is too long and it touches ball bearings, went to Tory to find out he only tight till screw touches the diff ring circle of the pulley (seePIC#3)


well, but I never mount my pulley on any of my car that way before so I took Tory's another Idea and use set of flat head screws that used to mount a center pulleys (see PIC#4) and I race that day.

I took it apart last week and found few surprise from the spool as numbered below.
  1. Outdrive ball bearing got stuck in the pulley, it took me few hammering and 30minutes to get it out, I found there were bad scratches on the spool where ball bearing was seating at, I m not sure if this is because I used different rubber o ring to mount a spool to LOSA3316 Diff Acentric or not, but I found a O ring got stuck between Ball bearing And a spool that can caused unwanted side by side slop inside of the Acentric, maybe little bit smaller tube can pool proof the assembly process.PIC #5

  2. I also found out my LCD won't go IN-N-OUT of diff outdrive with ease, there were 2 locations causing that, diff outdrive fits too tight in to the 1pc spool tube and "flat head screws I used on the pulley creating more pressure on to the diff out drive I had to filed down diff out drive with a flat file and a round file as PIC#6 shows.



  3. Flat head screw also created ugly scars on the pulley as PIC#7 shows.

    • Problem solved: (of cos) I polished the tube with compound for a minute then I brought back round head screws with a aluminum O ring came with a one-way for the Type-R. as PIC#8 show.


    • Performance: AWESOME! more initial steering, faster acceleration! you gotta have both.

    Note: I used my chipped pulley from 360raceway race days for picture only purporse to show how much abuse front pulley takes from Carpet racing, I think it will be good idea to have that aluminum O ring to be a part of 1pc spool tube set.


    Finally my Spool and a center shaft is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Love to hear from you~